In commemoration of its #YearOnTikTok, TikTok has revealed some of the top Nigerian users who produced content that went viral on the platform in 2022 and are nominated for the #TopCreator2022 award,
TikTok is reflecting to look back on some of the best moments from the year, and appreciate the creators of content that made them possible with the #TopCreator2022 award.
Nigerians appear to be particularly interested in the recognition this year as TikTok promotes some of the viral content created by Nigerian creators on the platform, particularly with the TikTok Naija to the World campaign.
Speaking on this move, the Chief Operating Officer, Vanessa Pappas said
We’re honoured to celebrate our global community who shaped this year’s trends, shared new ideas, learned from one another, and turned their passions into careers and livelihoods throughout 2022. It’s been truly inspiring to see over a billion people around the world show their creativity and come together to experience joy and find a sense of belonging on TikTok.
A broad and rich mix of talent featured on the platform this year including but not limited to talented vocalists, dancers and other content producers using the platform to display their individual talents, TikTok Nigeria has expanded significantly over the years and it is about time the creators get recognised.
This 2022 award is the first time the video platform will be recognising content creators across Sub-Saharan Africa through their inaugural TikTok #TopCreator2022 award. Eight of these #TopCreator2022 awards, according to TikTok, will be given to creators in Sub-Saharan Africa.
To commemorate this historic occasion, the platform is encouraging all TikTok users in the area to vote for their favourite content creator to win the TikTok #TopCreator2022 award or #TopCreator2022 runner-up award.
In this article, we have curated the Nigerian nominees for the #TopCreator2022 award and their different categories like Breakthrough Stars, For You Favourites, Most Viewed Artists, Playlist of the year, and Big Little Communities.
Categories and Nominees for the Nigeria #TopCreator2022 award
Breakthrough Stars: 2022’s groundbreaking creators, celebrities and artists
- @lary_shantel – Learn about Africa – We are a continent, not a country
- @Orelejika – Building a community of supportive women on TikTok
- @abikeshugaa – Using TikTok to raise awareness on gender-based violence
- @folagede_bankz – A TikTok Skit – Dedication to the Yoruba Mom
- @Jay_onair – Take us to church!
FYFaves: The most popular videos of 2022
Check out the videos that made this year’s leading list on ‘For You’ feeds across Nigeria:
- @Enioluwa – Celebrating the Nigerian community
- @simeonblinks – Transition skills on fleek
- @beeautygoddess – Smiles and all
- @r0dn3y_ – Kicked out of the choir – so relatable
- @crispdal_ – Hitting the beat – let’s dance!
- @berbypicxy – A TIkTok Fave
- @softmadeit – A TikTok Fav on our FYP
The Hitmakers SSA: Most viewed artists on TikTok
The following were the artists and creators that made it big on TikTok this year:
The Playlist: The songs that soundtracked 2022
The following is a list of the music that trended on TikTok among African audiences:
- Buga by Kizz Daniel & Tekno
- Overloading (OVERDOSE) by Mavins, Crayon & Ayra Starr
- Happy Birthday by Simi, Adekunle Gold & Deja
- Ku Lo Sa by Oxlade
- Peace Be Unto You (PBUY) by Asake
- Baddest Boy by Skiibii
- Girlfriend by Ruger
- Live Forever by Kayode
- Sugarcane – Remix by Camidoh, Mayorkun & Darkoo
- Rush by Ayra Starr
Only on TikTok: Trends powered by creative effects, sounds and other product features
These were the videos that featured elements that are unique to TikTok:
- @_badboywilly – Country Flag Effect – Does your country have one?
- @King_Jasminez – Double Layers Effect
- @Dinmaotutu – Fashion Sketch Effect
- @Telistyles – Slideshow Effect
- @naadromo98 – EffSoftieCam By huseyincanxs Effect
Big Little Communities: Popular subcultures and niche communities
These were some of the communities that captured the imagination of Nigerians this year:
- @Stylebydamie, @ms_yudee , @Cattyhopcy – Women coming together for a #FashionTok
- @blakeoffishall – TikTok Creators that become #Friends –
- @Austin.d.great – #DanceTok in the house
- @Thetallblackchic – #Wakanda inspired
TikTok Taught Me: Lessons and life hacks powered by TikTok trends and features
These were some of the most popular videos in this category that educated, inspired and motivated many audiences:
- @thelordsdoing – Understand tribes in Nigeria
- @therapeuticnurse_ – Teaching the community about the reproductive system
- @Aprokodoctor – Understanding sleep paralysis from a qualified doctor
- @Jameenjude – Make-up hacks
Eats on Repeat: #FoodTok trends and other favourites
These were the recipes and food hacks that made it to the top of the menu:
- @diaryofakitchenlover – Making Ogbono Soup
- @chef.maah – Who doesn’t like a quick-fix recipe?
- @Nimoh_ – Making a simple breakfast – Naija style
Best programmed TikTok LIVE
These are the programmed LIVES that kept the TikTok community entertained.
- @mowalolatv – Mowalola SS23 “Burglar Wear” show
- @joeboyofficial – #Love Valentines Month Live – Joeboy
- @azz_iad & @mentallyawareng – Talking about all things mental health
- @obis_house – Obis House on a Monday
- @triplets__delesafa & @twinzloves – #MothersDay Celebration Live
The voting for your favourite content creator for the #TopCreator2022 award on TikTok will begin from midnight on 16 December until 23:59 on 23 December and the winners will be announced on the TikTok Africa newsroom.
For more information, check out the @TikTok.Africa account on the platform
Get the best of Africa’s daily tech to your inbox – first thing every morning.
Join the community now!