Global Tech Roundup: Facebook bans Trump for 2 Years, Xiaomi can fully charge your phone in 8 minutes & others
The first week of June has been an eventful one. From the official launch of Twitter’s new subscription service to Elon’s crypto drama and the launch of Google’s SME program in Africa, the week was stocked.
Below we have curated some of the major stories around the globe you might have missed.
Xiaomi unviels new hyper charge system
Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Xiaomi has revealed that its new fast-charging system has beaten world records in wired and wireless charging of smartphone.
According to the company, its new HyperCharge tech on a modified M11 Pro with a 4,000 mAh battery, can be charged from 0 to 50 per cent in 3 minutes and 23 seconds. A full charge takes just 8 minutes over a 200W wired connection.
For the wireless demonstration, the device took 7 minutes to reach half capacity and 15 minutes to hit 100 per cent.
The demonstration was conducted using a GaN charger and a new dual-coil wireless charger. The modified phone used a 10C graphene battery.
There is, however, no word on when the HyperCharge tech will go into mass production.
SpaceX’s build’s first ocean spaceport
SpaceX is building its first floating spaceport platform. According to its CEO, Elon Musk, the company is on track to transform one of two converted oil rigs that SpaceX purchased into floating launch and landing sites for its forthcoming Starship reusable rocket.
The Company had earlier revealed that the two rigs were for the creation of Deimos and Phobos, two floating spaceports named after the moons of Mars.
SpaceX says it plans to start hosting launches as early as next year.
It added that they’ll act as offshore staging grounds for Starship launch activities, and to eventually provide transport for both people and goods to and from the red planet using its Starship.
LG reportedly stopped making smartphones, Shuts down LG Pay service
LG has taken an important step toward shutting down its mobile business. According to reports, the last LG phones have rolled off the production line and the company will no longer be manufacturing handsets.
The company had earlier made some significant waves this year when it confirmed that it is shuttering its mobile phone business, but it kept making handsets for a couple more months to fulfil contracts with telecom companies.
Similarly, it’s has quietly confirmed that LG Pay, its mobile payments platform, will be shutting down by the end of 2021 according to a new notice on its website.
The service will be completely shut down by November 1st 2021, but the notice says it will be closing over the course of 2021, so some functionalities may go dark early.
Facebook gives Trump a 2-year suspension after Oversight Board decision
Former US President, Donald Trump will remain suspended from Facebook networks for at least two years. According to the company, the former president will be reinstated in 2023 only if his risk to public safety has subsided.
“Given the gravity of the circumstances that led to Mr Trump’s suspension, we believe his actions constituted a severe violation of our rules which merit the highest penalty available under the new enforcement protocols,” Nick Clegg, Facebook’s vice president of global affairs, wrote Friday in a blog post.
In response, Donald Trump has condemned Facebooks decision. According to him they should not be able to get away with censoring and silencing.
“Facebook’s ruling is an insult to the record-setting 75M people, plus many others, who voted for us in the 2020 Rigged Presidential Election. They shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this censoring and silencing, and ultimately, we will win. Our country can’t take this abuse anymore!”Former US President, Donald Trump
Without access to the broad reach afforded by social media giants, Trump has struggled to maintain an online presence. The two-year timeline, however, means that he could be back on Facebook and Instagram just as the 2024 presidential election cycle is beginning.
WhatsApp to allow multi-device support for up to 4 devices
WhatsApp will soon allow support on multiple devices at the same time.
This was confirmed to WABetainfo by Facebook, CEO Mark Zuckerberg, and WhatsApp chief, Will Cathcart. WABetainfo is a website known for revealing information about upcoming features on the messaging app.
According to the Facebook CEO, the multi-device support will be arriving on the platform soon. Although an exact release date was not disclosed, multi-device support elements have been spotted in WhatsApp’s private Beta versions for quite a while now.
“It’s been a big technical challenge to get all your messages and content to sync properly across devices even when your phone battery dies, but we’ve solved this and we’re looking forward to getting it out soon!”Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Cathcart also suggested that a dedicated WhatsApp app for the iPad is also in the works.
You can check out other news that happened during the week here. Have a nice weekend!!
If you’d like to get featured on our Entrepreneur Spotlight, click here to share your startup story with us.
Get latest Technology news, reviews, business-related content with a deliberate emphasis on the African narrative and insightful analysis in Nigeria – straight to your inbox.