NITDA Selects 6 Nigerian Startups to Participate in the 2018 GITEX Technology Week
The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) has completed its selection process and chosen 6 Nigeria tech startups to showcase the country’s ICT innovation at this year’s Gulf Information Technology Exhibition (GITEX 2018) from the 14th to 18th October 2018 in Dubai.
Nigeria to showcase ICT INNOVATION at GITEX 2018 https://t.co/ATlSTujk2o
— NITDA Nigeria (@nitdanigeria) September 27, 2018
GITEX, an annual Information and Communication Technology trade show, exhibition, and conference that takes place in Dubai, is aimed at bringing together the world’s most exciting Startups, Corporates, Governments, Investors, and change-makers to enable the success of entrepreneurs.
The platform also provides the opportunity to accelerate the start-up movement towards a sustainable knowledge-based economy by helping them uncover new perspectives, explore game-changing ideas with insightful conferences and master the smart adoptions that will help them advance past their competition.
NITDA, being a country partner for the Gulf Information Technology Exhibition through its Office for ICT Innovation & Entrepreneurship (OIIE), selects startups that would take part in this event yearly.
For this year’s Technology Week, there was a call for applications from technology and technology-enabled startups and over 500 submissions were received. These applications were streamlined and judged based on the startups’ experience and innovativeness.
— Arone (@AroneDelivery) September 25, 2018
The best 6 startups from each 6 geopolitical regions were finally selected. The successful startups include:
- Arone (SE) – A technology, transport and logistics company to solve the problem of lack of accessibility to medical supplies.
- Beepower (NE) – The product allows the use of one single source to power up multiple devices with different power requirements.
- Domenium (SS) – A solution designed to help police obtain evidence for crimes.
- Max (SW) – A technology, transport and logistics company that makes moto-taxis safe, efficient, and accessible to users in West Africa.
- Off-k.com (NW) – An online platform that helps students conveniently locate and securely pay for accommodation off campus.
- Wattlinq (NC) – A power technology with a website which provides services that monitors and manages energy availability and usage in homes.
The selected startups would undergo a one week bootcamp with experienced stakeholders in the ecosystem to equip them with the necessary skills to get the best of GITEX.
Since not more than 6 the startups would be going to GITEX, about 30 other vibrant startups have been selected to partake in local startup pitching competitions.
10 startups will attend Startup Friday, Abuja (30th October 2018) and 20 startups will participate in eNigeria ( 5-7th November 2018), where they would all be provided with opportunities to pitch to investors, sponsorship for incubation, training on key entrepreneurship skills, access to network and a cash prize for the best startups.
If you’d like to get featured on our Entrepreneur Spotlight, click here to share your startup story with us.
Get latest Technology news, reviews, business-related content with a deliberate emphasis on the African narrative and insightful analysis in Nigeria – straight to your inbox.